Saturday, May 10, 2014

SICK CITY -- and a quote by Salinger

Book-bomb!!! I'm reading SICK CITY. It's brilliant. The author Tony O'Neill, writes like I do, in short burst paragraphs, narrating in (what I call) Haiku-like passages, only longer. 


So now almost all the collective junkies are in this fake rehab run by a sleazy television doctor. And though I've never been into drugs, the fact that that every writer who pens about heroin, scribes uncontrollable bowel movements as one of the conditions of withdrawal. I've always said the day I don't have any control over that area of my body, is going to be the last day of my life. Girls fold their panties and tuck them into their jeans at the OBGYN. You think I'm going to have someone help me amidst an uncontrollable bowel movement? No.  

Since starting this blog last October, I've read...

Sick City
Twentynine Palms
Knockemstiff
Blackburn
Bad Things Happen

I've gone back to reading books more in my comfort zone, than challenging. Not that drug addiction is "comfortable" just that most of these books take place where I live, or have lived. I'm a Hollywood/Los Angeles survivor again 

Among the *misfits* my favorite remains to be the truest told story...

"The thing is, it's really hard to be roommates with people if your suitcases are much better than theirs — if yours are really good ones and theirs aren't. You think if they're intelligent and all, the other person, and have a good sense of humor, that they don't give a damn whose suitcases are better, but they do."

-- J.D. Salinger (The Catcher In The Rye)
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment