Tuesday, November 12, 2013

2 broke Mama-sans

There's a television show called 2 Broke Girls. A friend turned me onto this show and luckily it's On Demand.

The other evening as my day wound itself down, my friend said, "You have to watch this episode called And The Girlfriend Experience."

In short, it's about their Korean boss, Han, who sent his traditional mother a picture of a girl and said she was his girlfriend. The girl in the picture is a local Asian stripper/prostitute he found in some magazine and sent the picture of her [assuming just the face] to his mother. But when the mother says she's coming to visit, and wants to meet the girlfriend, the [2 broke] girls are left to assume the responsibility of hiring this stripper/prostitute for Han, hence the title And The Girlfriend Experience.    

There's a scene in the episode where the [2 broke] girls are at the strip club where this girl works. They had to hire a private lap dance in order to talk to the girl privately. In this scene, the [2 broke] girls baby-wipe down the sofa they are going to sit on. Thinking they have cleaned the sofa best as they could, the stripper begins her routine, turning off the florescent lights, and turning on the black light, exposing all the c*m stains on the sofa, wall, floor, chair next to the sofa, ceiling, etc.

It was awesome!

And,

It reminded me of this place downtown.

Years ago when I was a young whip, just off the Greyhound Bus [aka Southwest Airlines], I saw an ad in "a newspaper" about a job dancing for money. Back in it's more "legitimate days" I believe those girls were called taxi-dancers, for taxi dance halls during prohibition to stimulate the economy, etc., and as a way for girls to make an income selling dance tickets [Google it, I'm not 100% positive of the specifics.]

But,

I saw this ad and went downtown to "the dance hall". 

It was middle afternoon, week day, and when I arrived at the address given, a brick building, no windows, heavy steel security door, camera mounted at the door, and a buzzer with an intercom, a woman with a thick heavy Asian accent buzzed me in. 

The front room was an office, two desks, filing cabinets, and two older Asian women who wanted to be referred to as "mama-sans" [their word, not mine] one of which offered me a chair to sit in.

The moment I started talking, the two women realized I'm American,

Yup, I'm legal,

And "mama-sans" wasn't going to cut it with me, not really, but back then I would have called you General Master Ling, if it was something I was into. 

The women then had me stand back up, turn around, turn around again, and sit back down in the chair.

In their Asian accents they began the interviewing process

Do you have family here in the states? Of course.
Do you have a boyfriend or husband? No.
Are you against wearing sexy clothes at work? No.

And that pretty much concluded the Q&A portion of the interview.

One of the women unlocked the door behind their desks and we entered the club. 

Even in broad daylight, the club was so dark it took a while for my eyes to focus under the very dim red and black lighting. Because it was early afternoon the girls were not there, and the club was not yet open.

The club itself was loaded with red felt furniture, red felt floor, and red felt walls, even the pool table was lined with red felt.

"The girls just play board games, just play pool, and just dance with the clients, but there is no prostitution! Girls are not allowed to leave once their shift starts, until their shift ends. Only the clients can come and go."

Or so they're hoping!

After the tour of the club, I thanked the "mama-san" for her time and left the club.

Running!          

I have no idea if the girls who work at these clubs make any money. 

Anyway,

That episode of 2 Broke Girls, reminded me of that afternoon.


2 Broke Girls - On Demand - CBS - Love this show!


I have no idea what the actual time slot is, most of my television viewing is On Demand.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment