Sunday, December 15, 2019

Just me, the cat, Dolly, and madness

Sacrifice.

That's what it takes.

Sacrifice. Your soul. And your sanity.

How is it whenever artist friends post pictures of their work areas you can clearly tell an artist lives there. Me on the other hand, after a week of drawing nonstop my apartment just looks like raccoons live here.

I finished Dolly last night around midnight. Miso kitty spent the night out of the rain and kept me company. After texting Aramis a photo of my finished Dolly, both Miso and I fell asleep around 12:30am. Neither one of us woke up again until 6:30 this morning. It's not easy being an artist cat.


Miso handles all the packaging. 

Ladies and gentlemen

Dolly Parton

(Click photo to enlarge) 


Legend. Queen of country. Her start in the music industry is fascinating. Like Johnny Cash. Jerry Lee Lewis. Two of them came from dirt poor families and look what they made of themselves. Respect.

A few things...

I changed Dolly's bustier from the reference photo to something more modern. I spent at least 5 agonizing hours drawing her breasts. Sizing them. Shaping them. Shading them. Resizing them. Reshaping them. Re-shading them. 5 hours. Now finished I'm showing them off!

Regarding Dolly's hair, I am a huge fan, as in I absolutely love renaissance sculptures. Particularly Bernini.

Here's a Bernini website you can muse over

Bernini sexuality in marble

Additionally, I love medieval to renaissance stained glass. You will always see illuminations of both arts in all my drawings. When drawing Dolly, I saw her as a marble sculpture and came stained glass.

Also, I did not draw nipples or areola in this drawing. If you see either its because that's what your mind sees.

Furthermore, there are subtleties in my Dolly drawing that bear specifics of my personality. I think its sexy when thin, C cup (plus) busty women wear bustiers. I think its sexy when there's a little boob jiggle over the sides of the bustier or what's the point? I draw these subtleties not to offend anyone, but as the old saying goes - No matter who he paints, the painter always paints himself.

Nothing compares to seeing art in person. There is not a lense on earth that can replace or capture the wonders caught by the human eye except those rare transcendent storytellers.

I was going to draw Farrah, but I think I'm going to back burner her for now. I have other ideas.

Dolly took 12 days and over 50 hours to make.

Instagram @ 2_stray_cats

I hope you like my drawing.

On to the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment