Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Drive-in theaters


I'm reading more fiction now. I get enough reality 14 hours a day I don't need any more. Aside from Fargo (which is amazing!) my Midwest, being Minnesota, is usually portrayed in a very general and bland metaphoric scope of mutated Canadian accents and Lutheran Churches. All writers write about where they're from, or use it as a reference point, but I like reading how other people view the Midwest who are actually from the Midwest. Small town characters tend to be more active, physical, heavily exaggerated, less about what they think and feel, more about what they have done and will go on doing. 

I picked up Knockemstiff because the author is from the Midwest, he mentions little things like drive-in theaters, and while I'm only one chapter into the book, and his characters are perhaps a bit overplayed even for the time period, the little Midwest mentions remind me of home. 

My (dearly beloved, and sadly missed) grandma used to live next to an abandoned drive-in theater. When I visit my grandma we went on long, long walks and just talked, and in doing so we always cut through the abandoned drive-in lot. Not the usual drive-in memory most people have I imagine, but it's a great memory (to me) all the same.

It's the little connections. I take them any way I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment