Saturday, April 15, 2017

Simone. Jeff. And me

I explain who Simone Gordon, is, HERE in this blog.

In short, in writing, and only in writing, she is I.

My real name goes on my artwork.

Many years ago when I lived in the valley, when I was better at social media, when I was better at USING social media to advertise my art, and myself as an artist, through Facebook I started talking with artist Jeff Pittarelli.

Jeff, at the time, lived in Long Beach, and if you've ever known a painter, a sculptor, or a graphite artist, or if you, yourself, are in Fine Arts, then you know the solitary world of it. Jeff and I, along with a few other male artists, would text each other during the nights we were drawing and painting.

I draw like a painter. Initially I was a painter. I started taking classes but I don't see geometry, juxtaposition, and colors the way a painter should. So I draw. Large scale. 18x24 and bigger. https://instagram.com/p/BFvRrVgpLHT/ My drawings are usually much bigger then most canvas I exhibit with.

One night, feeling very lonely for my friend Simone, I began drawing her. This is the only portrait I ever made of her. I titled this drawing FLOWER GIRL https://instagram.com/p/BS7hECxg1jI/ and I've never put her on display. This idiotic blog, and the random Instagram account I made for this idiotic blog, are the only places I've ever showed her.

Correction: She's on my (Culver City gallery) art page.

An artist friend of mine and I are talking about putting together an exhibit this summer, just his works and mine, which will be a challenge since we use entirely different mediums, and entirely different subject matter. But if I don't exhibit with him, I'll display my new works elsewhere.

And that is what I am doing. Last night. Tonight. Drawing. That's it. I want to display all new works. Which means 25 new drawings. Over half of those drawings will be rejected by one gallery curator (owner) or another, and over half of those remaining drawings will be censored. My large scale drawings take about 15 to 30 hours to draw. This STRONG ARM drawing took 10 hours https://instagram.com/p/BS7hAeyAmMY/ and I most likely won't even exhibit it. Some drawings are just drawings. Practice.

When I lived on Detroit Street friends would come over, hang out, pile up on my tiny loveseat and/or bed and watch movies on my 19 inch TV, drink, get high, whetever. I didn't care. They did their thing. I did mine. But that was then. This is now. And now, I get irritated much, much quicker.

I had always hoped I would find my "David", my muse, my masterpiece, and when he didn't come, I quit. But I have been recently inspired once more.

And

He'll probably never know it.

I wonder what Jeff is up to these day?

In his absence, I am instead Netflixing Versailles.

Back to the drawing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment