Friday, April 22, 2016

Friday night Muffet

Along came a Spider...

The other morning as I was sleeping all comfy in bed, I felt a sharp hard sting near my ankle. It woke me up but not instantly. It took a few minutes. And as my groggy eyes adjusted to the room, I looked over and saw a big fat brown spider on the wall about two feet from my head. Big spider. Growing up in the Midwest, and after many years of camping, I recognized the spider as being a "recluse brown spider" as they are called. Google the spider. Don't Google the spider bite, you won't sleep for days. My bite is no one where near that bad, thankfully.

The recluse brown spider bite has a pretty decent amount of venom. I wasn't bit too badly but enough where my ankle started puffing up. The whole ankle. And as I treated my ankle with mint tea leaves (I broke open from tea bags) and ice from a bag of frozen vegetables, the recluse brown spider just hung out on my wall, watching me mend my ankle. 

As it started getting lighter out I pondered how I was going to get rid of this spider. Decisively, I grabbed the Swiffer Duster, and with it plucked the spider from my wall. I then took the spider outside, down the sidewalk, and shook it loose from the duster. I'm sure it looked a little nutty from a neighbor's point of view, little Asian chick in her pajamas shaking a Swiffer Duster, on the sidewalk at the crack of dawn, but I wasn't going to kill the spider if I didn't have to. If you camp, or grew up in the Midwest, you know there's no such thing as just one spider in your house. House spiders are common, and you want those guys hanging around, but recluse brown spiders, are just below Black Widows, and you definitely don't want them hanging around. Each bite carries venom that take 1-3 weeks to heal. In the meantime you have to keep the bite clean, and dress it if you go out.

So I sprayed my place...

And I'm now tending to my ankle. The venom is still draining out of my leg, making it less puffy. And that is exactly what I'm doing this Friday night --draining venom out of my leg, and watching Forrest Gump.

Honestly. 

I said all this to a few people and they didn't believe me. I should have text them a picture of my leg, but who would make up a story like that??

"What are you doing tonight?"

Draining venom from my leg.

"What??"

So...

Here's a picture of my leg. https://instagram.com/p/BEhJ_MNpLN-/

No comments:

Post a Comment